Cafe style coffee is delivered to the studio every day by Gabriel of Kiss Cafe. He is usually met with gasping relieved sounds of creative types waiting for their espresso coffee fix. Donald’s is double strength in half a cup of water! It tastes perfect, smells wonderful and looks good too.
Donald is a regular student to the studio and his beautiful pen and wash drawings continue to improve and charm us all. Most of his work is done with a black waterproof ink pen with a wash of vibrant colour from a palette of Derwent Inktense blocks….. and the recently discovered perfect background colour – coffee!
- Drink the coffee until there is about one cm (half an inch) in the bottom of the cup.
- Lay down a wash of clear water to dampen the page where you want to the colour to go. (watercolour paper works best)
- Dry the brush off slightly on a sponge and then load with coffee. (This time it’s not an accidental dipping in the wrong liquid)
- Wash the golden brown into the damp areas creating a gentle wet in wet background.
- Let the piece dry naturally.
- Don’t use coffee with milk. It’s not the correct colour, isn’t gloriously translucent and the milk will probably turn sour before you can brew your next cup.
- In a pinch you can make up some black coffee with instant coffee and boiling water but it doesn’t quite have the same style.